Role : Sustainability Exec
Salary : Competitive based on experience
room2, the world’s first hometel brand, is on a rapid UK roll out of the award winning ‘hometel’ concept, and is looking for a highly motivated and passionate individual to support our sustainability efforts and net zero carbon goal.
At room2, we believe companies today have far greater responsibilities than to focus exclusively on shareholder returns. As a family owned and run business, we regard our obligations to our environment and communities as highly as to ensure a stable long term business. The impacts of consumerism and high impact lifestyles are having irreversible effects on climate change and ecosystems, and words can longer compensate for no action. Already a leader in hospitality within its field, room2 has set a target to become the UKs first zero carbon hotel brand, to take decisive action on this vitally important issue of climate, and because no one else has. Our role is not just to do our bit, but shake our industry into following our lead.
Hometels sit between hotels and Airbnb, and deliver the comforts and flexibility of home combined with the best bits of a hotel, with the experience of Airbnb. room2 currently have hometels open in London and Southampton, with committed sites in development in Chiswick, Manchester, Liverpool and Fulham, along with an exciting pipeline of further properties to come. The 2030 target is 5000 keys open and delivered across the UK.
At the start of our sustainability journey, the role will require a strategic lens to observe, review and create a sustainability strategy for all areas of the business, from building specification, to operations, service, supply chain, staff and guest behaviour, communication, etc. The successful candidate will consider all options from the smallest to the largest, short to long term, which align with the environmental and sustainability objectives, and go towards positioning room2 as a leading environmental hotel. The individual will work with other department managers and third party resources, to manage and take responsibility for the delivery and execution of the strategy.
You will be working in a fast moving environment with highly motivated individuals, in a young and dynamic organisation.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
- Be a champion for Sustainability across the entire business, using your influence to drive change, working across other functions and other markets to share best practice
- Managing projects from start to finish that support our broader sustainability strategy and net zero carbon goals
- Identifying and building relationships with suppliers and vendors with values that align with ours who offer more sustainable products and services
- Drafting policies, guidelines, and reports that formalise and evidence our sustainability efforts.
- Researching certifications, programs, standards, and industry initiatives that are relevant for our goals.
- Collecting data from across the business related to our environmental footprints to set and tracking against environmental goals.
- Constantly identifying new opportunities to make an impact and proposing solutions
- 1-3 years+ experience in a role that involved real estate, operations, or cross-functional project management
- A demonstrated interest in sustainability, particularly as it relates to climate, energy, cities, and construction
- An academic background of experience in architecture, interior design, or construction is preferred but not essential.
- Basic data analysis skills and/or a natural commercial acumen
- You are equal parts thinker and doer, someone who can come up with good ideas but then also figure out the best way to make them happen.
- You love talking to people and building relationships. This role will require a lot of engagement with vendors, staff members, and external partners, so it’s important that you have the ability to get people excited enough about what you’re doing that they want to be involved.
- You are solutions-oriented and resourceful — if you hit an obstacle working on something, you’ll find another way to get what you need.
- You are organised, efficient and have great attention to detail.
- You are looking to learn by doing — you’ll be joining a small, new team with a big and exciting mandate. There will be a lot of opportunities to lead and drive meaningful projects forward for someone who is willing to jump in and take initiative.
This is a rare opportunity to join an award winning company at the beginning of its 5000 room UK roll out, and make a real impact on growing a company with an environmental focus at its core. It is an opportunity to join a newly created Sustainability department which has a clear objective to build a better and healthier world, and shake the rest of industry into following our steps.
If you seek an exciting challenge, apply now.